The Importance of Attesting Your Marriage Certificate for the UAE
Author : Donna Dsouza | Published On : 19 Nov 2023
Getting married and bringing your spouse to live with you in the UAE requires having your marriage certificate properly attested. Attestation is the process of verifying the authenticity of a document through authorized channels. For the UAE, this involves multiple steps:
- First Attestation from the Home Department in the country the certificate was issued
- Attestation from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or Ministry of External Affairs in the home country
- Legalization at the UAE Embassy or Consulate in the home country
- Final attestation from the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Attesting your marriage certificate is essential for several reasons in the UAE:
- To prove you are legally married, as unmarried couples cannot live together
- For changing your name on IDs, visas, passports, etc.
- To apply for a family resident visa for your spouse
- To sponsor children and apply for their visas
- To add your spouse to your health insurance
- For matters related to pregnancy, childbirth, and pediatric care
- To jointly buy property or land
- For school admission of children
- To adopt children as a married couple
The process usually takes 3-5 business days but can vary by country. Using an attestation service like Globoprime can streamline the process and ensure your certificate gets attested correctly. Their experts handle the entire process, from document pickup to delivery of your attested certificate.
Getting your marriage certificate properly attested avoids future headaches and ensures you have the legal proof needed to bring your spouse to live with you in the UAE.