Five Steps To Maintain Solar Panels:
Author : peterqpo well | Published On : 25 Aug 2021
Solar panels are supposed to be "maintenance-free" renewable energy. There are no moving parts to lubricate or wear out, and for the most part, they just sit there. However, over time, solar panels will lose the efficiency to convert solar light into clean electrical energy for your home. Dust, dirt, algae, mold, leaves, debris, and other things can all affect the amount of sun that reaches your solar cells. You can hire solar maintenance companies in order to maintain your solar system.
Regular solar maintenance is essential to the peak performance of your home solar panels.
Here are 5 steps for you to keep your solar power flowing:
1) Clean Plexiglas surfaces
2) Check/Reseal waterproof seals
3) Check/clear weep holes
4) Check/tighten electrical connections
5) Check/secure mounting hardware
- Cleaning the Plexiglas (Plexiglas, Lexan, Lucite, or another acrylic sheet) must be done with care.
Plexiglas surfaces are easily damaged by dirt, hard brushes, or harsh cleansers. Do not use scrubbing pads or gritty cleaners as these will cause scratches in the Plexiglas surface. You can get the services of professionals for cleaning the system from expert solar services.
Plexiglas should be cleaned by gently rinsing the surface with water to float the dirt off, then use a soft cloth with a mild dish detergent and warm water solution to remove the remaining dirt. Be sure to change the cloth cleaning area frequently to prevent scratching. Otherwise, get the services of solar maintenance near me for enhancing the power efficiency of the system.
Do not use common household cleaners with ammonia or alcohol as these will damage the surface. Even paper towels can cause scratching on the Plexiglas. You can also hire professionals from solar operations and maintenance in order to accomplish the cleanliness of the system. The use of diluted bleach is ok, but it may discolor the aluminum frames.
- Check the waterproof seams for signs of water leakage, mold or algae growth, or separation of the caulk from the surfaces. Remove any mold or algae (if present) then reapply silicone caulk to seal the surfaces. You can contact solar operations and maintenance near me to get professional services in order to maintain the system’s power efficiency.
- Check the weep holes on the bottom of the panels for blockage. The weep hole allows any water condensation on the inside of the panel to drain. If the weep hole is blocked, then water can back up in the panel and short out the electrical connections. Call solar system service maintenance companies to get professional services so that your system can be properly maintained.
- Check all electrical connections. Tighten wire screws and connector caps. Look for any oxidized wires, as this can increase resistance and lower the panel's power output. Contact solar system service maintenance near me to get effective results.
- Lastly, inspect the solar panel mounting brackets and connections. Clear out any debris at the base of the brackets. This could deteriorate the roof surface causing leaks in your roof. Tighten all connecting hardware to ensure the panels remain in place.
Proper maintenance of your solar panels will allow many years of trouble-free clean energy for your home.