Xylitol is a Dangerous Pet Poison

Author : Slack Tony | Published On : 27 May 2021

Have you heard of xylitol before? It’s an artificial sugar substitute, and while it’s safe for humans, it’s very bad for pets. Xylitol is found in various chewing gums, candies, toothpaste, baked goods, and other sweet treats, so it’s extra dangerous because these items might attract pets. Learn more below from an animal hospital Lakewood Ranch, FL.

Symptoms of Poisoning

The symptoms of xylitol poisoning can manifest in as little as 30 minutes post-ingestion. They include signs like lethargy, depression, loss of appetite, vomiting, and diarrhea. Without treatment, a pet could experience seizures and even slip into a coma. That’s why quick veterinary intervention is key.

Treatment

Your vet might give activated charcoal to slow the poison’s absorption in the gut, or vomiting may be induced. A pet recovering from xylitol poisoning may need IV fluids, oxygen supplementation, close monitoring, and an extended hospital stay.

How to Prevent Poisoning

Clearly, you'll want to prevent xylitol poisoning if at all possible. Do so by keeping any and all sweet treats out of your pet’s reach. Store candy, gum, and other sweets where pets can’t reach.

Always keep the number of your pet clinic Lakewood Ranch, FL on hand if you need it.