What is Red Hat Cloudforms?
Author : Nilesh Parashar | Published On : 17 Jan 2022
Red Hat CloudForms is an application from Red Hat. It is a scalable, open and extensible administration platform that brings together insight, control, automation and integration in a single interface. It's well-suited to managing resources across private and hybrid clouds and it also supports standard virtualized systems. It can also assist you in creating a private cloud employing virtualized infrastructure and delivering self-service infrastructure services including computation, cloud storage, and networking. It offers a powerful virtualization management platform that also includes features like:
- Surveillance and tracking
- Management and planning of capacity
- Utilization and optimization of resources
- Management of the life cycle of a workload
- Access and usage governed by policies
Red Hat CloudForms can also help you construct and manage a hybrid cloud from a single platform, or simply improve management of current private cloud systems built on platforms like Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack. Some of these capabilities are:
- Catalogs and a self-service site
- Request management controls
- Application and enforcement of quotas
- Cost allocation and chargeback
- Provisioning that is automated
It uses an open-hybrid cloud model, allowing it to run Linux and Windows workloads using external technologies such as VMware, Hyper-V, and Amazon Web Services EC2. The platform gives operational visibility and control across environments in a unified view using Dashboards, Reports, Policies, workflows approvals and alerts. Several institutes offer the best courses for cloud computing. You may pursue those for a better understanding.
Red Hat CloudForms' architecture is made up of a number of technologies that developers create to work together to provide an adaptive management platform that sits on top of virtualized and cloud infrastructures and provides a unified management experience. The Red Hat CloudForms components include:
- The CloudForms Management Engine is the most important part of Red Hat CloudForms. This appliance is delivered as a secure, high-performance, and preconfigured virtual machine in a variety of formats for different deployment scenarios, including OVF for VMware, QCOW2 (QEMU Copy On Write) image for Red Hat OpenStack, and Red Hat Virtual Appliance for RHEV.
- CloudForms Management Engine Server: This component, which is part of the CloudForms Management Engine Appliance, allows SmartProxy and the virtual management database to communicate securely.
- Virtual Management Database: Information about the virtual infrastructure and appliance is collected in the Virtual Management Database. It's normally included with the CloudForms Management Engine Appliance, although it can also be installed on a separate system.
- The User Interface (UI) for viewing, managing, and controlling the CloudForms Management Engine Appliance is provided by the CloudForms Management Engine Console. It communicates through Web 2.0 mash-ups and web service interfaces.
- SmartProxy: This component can be installed separately on an ESX server or as part of the CloudForms Management Engine Appliance. It acts on data stores on behalf of the CloudForms Management Engine Appliance. HTTPS is used for communication between the appliance and SmartProxy.
A detailed cloud computing online training can give you better insights.
Red Hat CloudForms offers a wide range of capabilities that can be divided into four distinct feature sets that work together to provide seamless, unified management of hybrid cloud infrastructure:
- Discovery, monitoring, utilization, performance, reporting, analytics, chargeback and trends are all part of the insight feature set, which provide operational awareness of the hybrid cloud environment
- Security, compliance, alerting, policy-based resource access, and configuration enforcement are among the control features that give control over the hybrid cloud environment.
- Automated IT processes, tasks, and events, provisioning, workload management, and orchestration are all included in this feature set.
- System management, tools and processes, event consoles, Role-based Administration (RBA), and web services are all included in this category.
Red Hat CloudForms comes with a slew of features that make cloud computing and administration a breeze. The following are some of the highlights:
- It achieves high availability through host clustering and cloud resource zoning.
- Clustering provides load balancing capabilities.
- The administration of resources that are dispersed across geographical regions in a cohesive manner.
- Support for cloud platforms and heterogeneous infrastructure
- Services and service catalogs have improved automation.
- Improved resource optimization
- All of it can be managed with a single tool.
- An easy-to-use management appliance that works with a variety of virtualization and cloud systems.
- A simple web-based interface for administering, managing, and operating a private or hybrid cloud. It has directory integration support for control and compliance, and it works with existing technologies like Active Directory, IBM Blue Pages, and LDAP.
- A secure and separated multitenant architecture, with each tenant having its own data and network.
- It uses policies to provide secure and compliant management across infrastructure platforms.
An in-depth cloud computing certification course can give you a better understanding of the topic.