Sago Palm Poisoning in Dogs

Author : Slack Tony | Published On : 10 Jun 2021

Sago palms are popular houseplants, and they’re particularly common in tropical and subtropical environments (like Florida!). They’re also very toxic to pets. Let’s take a closer look at sago palm toxicity in dogs as your vet Tampa, FL tells you more:

Symptoms

Sago palms are dangerous thanks to a toxin they contain called cycasin. This can cause liver failure in pets. Symptoms of toxicity include drooling, loss of appetite, vomiting, and diarrhea. If treatment isn’t administered, depression, lethargy, seizures, and even jaundice can occur.

Treatment

Take your pet to the emergency room if you know or suspect they ate part of a sago palm (bring along a bit of the plant with you to help aid in diagnosis). Your vet might need to induce vomiting, or activated charcoal might be given to slow the poison’s absorption in the gut. If your dog has progressed to liver failure, IV fluid therapy, anti-vomiting drugs, and even blood transfusions might be needed.

Prevention Tips

Prevent sago palm poisoning in dogs by keeping this houseplant out of your home entirely, especially if your canine friend likes to nibble on plants.

To learn more about keeping your dog safe, call your veterinarian Tampa, FL.