Explore Dawki: A Gem of Meghalaya
Author : Gourab Mukherjee | Published On : 11 Feb 2024
Dawki is a small town nestled in the lush green hills of Meghalaya, a state in northeastern India. Famous for its crystal-clear waters and scenic landscapes, Dawki is a hidden gem waiting to be discovered by travelers from around the world.
Where is Dawki?
Dawki is located in the West Jaintia Hills district of Meghalaya, bordering Bangladesh. It is situated along the banks of the Umngot River, which flows through the heart of the town, creating a mesmerizing natural spectacle.
The Beauty of Dawki
Dawki is renowned for its breathtaking beauty, with the Umngot River being its crowning jewel. The river is so clear that the boats floating on its surface appear to be suspended in mid-air, creating a surreal and magical experience for visitors.
Things to Do in Dawki
- Boat Rides: One of the most popular activities in Dawki is taking a boat ride on the Umngot River. Visitors can glide across the crystal-clear waters, marveling at the stunning underwater scenery and lush greenery along the riverbanks.
- Picnics by the River: Dawki offers numerous picturesque spots along the riverbanks where visitors can enjoy a relaxing picnic amidst nature's beauty. The tranquil surroundings and gentle breeze make it the perfect place to unwind and soak in the peaceful atmosphere.
- Exploring Nearby Attractions: Dawki serves as a gateway to several other attractions in Meghalaya, including the breathtaking Mawlynnong Village, known as the cleanest village in Asia, and the stunning living root bridges of Cherrapunji.
- Witness Cultural Festivals: Immerse yourself in the rich cultural heritage of Dawki by attending local festivals and celebrations. Experience vibrant music, traditional dance performances, and indulge in delicious Khasi cuisine.
- Photography: Capture the scenic beauty of Dawki and its surroundings through photography. The picturesque landscapes, clear waters, and vibrant culture provide endless opportunities for stunning photographs.
Dawki holds cultural significance for the indigenous Khasi tribes of Meghalaya. The town is home to vibrant festivals and celebrations, where locals showcase their rich traditions through music, dance, and traditional cuisine.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit Dawki is during the winter months, from November to February. During this time, the weather is cool and pleasant, making outdoor activities enjoyable. Additionally, the river waters of Umngot River are exceptionally clear during the winter months, providing ideal conditions for boat rides and water-based activities. The clear skies and mild temperatures also offer perfect conditions for exploring the scenic landscapes and nearby attractions of Dawki and the surrounding areas. However, it's essential to check the weather forecast before planning your trip, as weather conditions can vary.
Dawki is a hidden paradise that captivates visitors with its natural beauty and serene atmosphere. From the crystal-clear waters of the Umngot River to the lush green landscapes that surround it, Dawki offers a truly enchanting experience for travelers seeking tranquility and adventure amidst nature's wonders. So, pack your bags, embark on a journey to Dawki, and discover the magic of this charming town in the heart of Meghalaya.